I cooked these dishes tonight for dinner. From prep to finish it only took 30 minutes. I severed the fish head because it wouldn’t fit in the baking dish. I’m saving it for later, possibly in a miso soup in the future.
Oven Steamed Whole Tilapia
1 whole tilapia (Feel free to substitute with other white fish. You can also use fish filet instead.)
4 slices ginger + 5 more slices ginger, sliced thinly
1 bunch scallion, sliced thinly
2 tbsp soy sauce or steam fish sauce
1 tsp mirin
3 tbsp of cooking oil
- In a baking dish, place the tilapia in the center. Rub the outside with some salt.
- Place 4 slices of ginger on top of the fish.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil. Poke a few vents with a fork to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Depending on the size of the fish and oven variations, it might take up more time. Check the fish at 10 minutes and adjust the time if necessary.)
- When the fish is cooked, take it out of the oven and remove the tin foil. Scatter the remaining ginger slices and scallion on top of the fish.
- In a small sauce pan, heat up the cooking oil until a wisp of smoke is coming out of the pan. The oil will be EXTREMELY HOT, so handle with care.
- Pour the hot oil over the fish. This will cause the fish to sizzle and you can see and hear the effect it has on the fish. If you don’t get the sizzle, then the oil is not hot enough. The tilapia is now ready to be served.
King Trumpet Mushroom, Green Beans an Onion Stirfry in Black Pepper Sauce
1 cup king trumpet mushroom, cubed. (Feel free to substitute with other kinds of mushroom)
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 cup green beans, diced
1 tbsp of black pepper sauce (I used store bought black pepper sauce. They’re readily available in most Asian markets.)
2 tsp of cooking oil
- In a stirfry pan, heat the cooking oil in medium-high heat.
- Add onion, saute for 1-2 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Add green beans and 1 tbsp of water. Stir fry frequently to prevent browning.
- Add mushroom and stir fry. Add more water if needed to prevent browning.
- When all the ingredients are cooked, add the black pepper sauce and mix well.