If you love potato salads, you’ll worship this recipe. This is a straightforward potato salad recipe. However, when mixed with the special ingredient, it trenscends the ordinary and makes it simply the best potato salad I’ve ever tasted. Easy as can be. Using only 3 ingredients for the basic version and you can dress it up with additional ingredients for variations. You can customize it with whatever items you have in your fridge or pantry.
Potato Salad Ingredients:
2 medium sized potato (any kinds would do)
1/2 cup Kewpie brand mayonnaise (this is our secret ingredient – more on this later)
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup cooked shrimp, roughly diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
Potato Salad Preparation
- Cook the potato until done. Depending on your method, it will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I prefer boiling than baking the potato. If you’re in a rush, microwaving it also does the job.
- Meanwhile, hardboil the eggs. When the eggs are done, pee l them and roughly dice them.
- Prepare your optional ingredients while the potato cooks
- Once the potato is cooked, dice into bite size chunks.
- Put all the ingredients in large mixing bowl and add a generous portion of Kewpie mayonnaise. Mix everything together. Addd salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Best served warm. Try it in a croissant!
Now, some of you may not be familiar with Kewpie mayonnaise, the key ingredient in this potato salad. What is Kewpie mayonnaise? Kewpie is the brand name of a special mayonnaise sold in most Asisan markets. It comes in a tube form and features a picture of a baby on the packaging. Here’s a photo of it for your reference. Just what makes Kewpie mayonnaise special? Compared to most American mayonnaise brands, Kewpie has a more savory flavor and a creamier texture. It’s pretty easy to find these days, so go buy a tube of Kewpie and give it a taste test!